At Heaton we operate a school zone enrolment policy which states:
Home Zone: The geographical area described in the scheme shall stand fast and shall operate as the school’s home zone, under section 11D of the Education Act 1989. All students who live within the home zone shall be entitled to enrol at the school.
Out of Zone Enrolments: Each year, the Board will publish information in a daily newspaper on how applications are to be made, specify a date by which all applications will be received and determine the number of places that are likely to be available for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone.
Applications for enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority.
- First Priority: The priority is not applicable as this school does not run a special programme approved by the Secretary of Education.
- Second Priority: Will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Third Priority: Will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth Priority: Will be given to applicants who are children of former students.
- Fifth Priority: Will be given to applicants who are children of Board employees or children of members of the Board.
- Sixth Priority: Will be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the secretary under Section IIG (1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily newspaper in the area served by the school.